Garbage collection

David Gould dg@REDACTED
Thu Sep 2 19:58:23 CEST 1999

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 07:20:41AM -0700, David Brown wrote:

> > David Gould writes:
> >> I might be interested in working on this. I am curious to know what has
> >> prevented this in the past,
>
> > It's a bit hard, to make the gc non blocking ggc.c needs to rewritten
> > into a reentrant collector. This is a bit hard and it also makes
> > the collector a bit slower unless some real clever tricks are
> > applied.

> I found a bunch of good papers on garbage collection (realtime as
> well) on <ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/>.  One of the papers

This is Paul Wilsons group at U Texas, a great resource for memory management
information. I have read a number of their papers but not specifically the
realtime GC one. But I will.

> discusses a real-time garbage collector that only needs to coordinate
> with the "mutators" when the mutate memory.  We have a nice advantage
> here that there isn't much mutation going on outside of making new
> objects.
>
> Their collector is single threaded, and single heaped.  Moving to this
> model might help with efficiency, since we could avoid the copy when
> sending local messages.  The collector just needs to be run
> periodically (easy with an interpreter) and only needs to be informed
> about mutations.  It also eliminates issues with allocation in a
> process whose GC would be running.

Interesting.

> I'll look around and figure out which article it actually is that
> talks about it.

Please.

-dg
--
David Gould           dg@REDACTED            510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software                       300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612