[Erlang Forums] [Erlang/OTP Proposals/Proposals: RFC] Re-visiting EEP-0055

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Tue Apr 26 04:24:49 CEST 2022

I'm assuming you meant your response to be to the list but maybe missed
that in a rush to respond (I know, things can sure get heated when
someone is wrong on the internet!).

On 2022/04/26 3:29, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 2:23 PM zxq9 <zxq9@REDACTED
> <mailto:zxq9@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     On 2022/04/26 0:45, Austin Ziegler wrote:
>      > That said, it took me a *long* time to understand `=:=` because
>     it’s a
>      > complex, compound sigil (not used _that_ frequently) that I’ve never
>      > seen in any other language (and I know quite a few). To _me_,
>     `^Value ->
>      > …` is clearer than `NewValue when Value =:= NewValue`. But that’s me.
>
>     Sorry, but no.
>

> Sorry, but you don’t actually get to tell me what I think is clearer.
> Full stop.

I get to point out when your argument leans on an un-idiomatic construct
and demonstrate how the idiomatic way makes this a non-issue at its
root.

Did you even read what I wrote? I gave an idiomatic example.

> As I said, I don’t really care about this EEP. I do care that people
> have been arguing this emotionally (while pretending not to do so) and
> have taken sideswipes against other languages that have made different
> choices.

Emotional? The only emotion I'm feeling right now is mirth, buddy.

Me:  [points out how your example makes no sense]
You: STOP BEING EMOTIONAL!
Me:  OK, bro. [chuckles in Erlangistani]

> The Erlang core development team has expressed some interest in this
> EEP. Wouldn’t it be more productive to take it up with them on the
> forum, and provide them actually *useful* arguments?

The CoC bans those of us who disagree with the DIE and ESG religion
from participating in the forums. So, no.

I mentioned all this before.
You never read what I wrote.
That's been a theme in this super weird thread.

> It’d be more fun than the soliloquizing that I’ve seen so far.

Sorry, you're going to have to use fewer $2 words; we conservative
minded folks are too stupid to understand what you're saying if it
doesn't involve cheeseburgers, pro-wrestling or Orange Man metaphors.

-Craig