[Erlang Forums] [Erlang/OTP Proposals/Proposals: RFC] Re-visiting EEP-0055

Austin Ziegler halostatue@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 17:14:22 CEST 2022

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 10:58 AM Stanislav Ledenev <s.ledenev@REDACTED>
wrote:

> One question - why? Just because we can?
> Erlang is doomed, Sorry Joe, we f**d things up.

I really can’t help but laugh at over the top reactions like this and those
who can’t help but bash Elixir because they don’t like the syntax.

What if this syntax (or some other syntax) helps the compiler generate
better (safer, faster, *whatever*) code? How would anyone know unless it
gets tried? Why would anyone want to try it when they know that a certain
vocal subset of the community are going to be pitching embarrassing fits
over it?

If this is introduced in OTP 26, then stop upgrading. Seriously. Stay on
OTP 25 or before. But seriously, stop acting like children about this and
saying that things are fucked up (because they’re not; you just don’t like
this because you don’t like it). The only *real* objection that I’ve seen
that makes sense to me is from Loïc, which is that it might be better to
enable *annotations*, even if the only annotation initially available is
for pinning. (My personal feeling on the annotation concept is that `^pin
Variable` doesn’t feel right to me, but maybe `^pin:Variable` or
`^pin{Variable}` or `^{pin}Variable` or something else, although more
sigil-y, would be clearer.

I mostly use Elixir, but often read Erlang codebases. On the Elixir core
mailing list, there are frequent redirects to approach something as a
possible PR to Erlang/OTP because it’s something that should benefit all
BEAM languages.

Telemetry started as an Elixir library, but was quickly changed to a pure
Erlang approach because it makes more sense to be something that all BEAM
languages can use.

Elixir has — and I suspect both LFE and Gleam both have — *enhanced *the
BEAM through wider exposure, code contributions, and other contributions.
If you can’t argue a feature request like in this EEP on its merits (or
lack thereof) without trying to bash Elixir, then maybe you don’t actually
have an argument, but an emotional outburst, and should just *discard* your
rant after writing it.

-a
--
Austin Ziegler • halostatue@REDACTEDaustin@REDACTED