Support for non-unique process labels?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon May 10 21:16:03 CEST 2021

On 10/05/2021 21:04, Nicolas Martyanoff wrote:

> But it is frustrating that every tentative to find solutions for
> shortcomings in Erlang/OTP is met with a mix of denial, anger, and
> whataboutism. Leading directly to everyone writing countless hacks and
> workarounds in their own backyward because there is no point in trying
> to improve things.

I have not seen denial, anger or whataboutism in this thread. A mix of
opinions sure but I've not even seen anyone disagreeing with your
general view on things.

> And at the risk of getting banned for saying that, I am fed up with the
> old argument of Erlang not having the founding of Go, Rust, or any other
> language. Ericsson is a 40+ billion dollars company with almost 100'000
> employees. I get it, they do not owe anyone anything, and I do not mind
> sending patches when I can. But it is not a tiny startup struggling to
> pay a handful of employees to work on a platform they use

What makes you think that? Inside large companies, various teams are
recognized in different ways, have their own budgets and head counts,
and are competing with each other for those scarce resources. They're
essentially a bunch of startups.

If Erlang/OTP doesn't have hundreds of Ericsson developers actively
working on it, it's simply because the OTP team are not making the
revenue to have hundreds of developers. Add to this the large variety of
internal politicking and other decisions outside of the control of the
OTP team and you get to the status quo.

The same applies to many other open source projects owned by large
corporations, even popular ones.

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu