Erlang (OTP 21+) Logger Console Output Question (Garbled Prompt)

Nicolas Martyanoff khaelin@REDACTED
Mon May 10 08:08:14 CEST 2021

Lukas Larsson <lukas@REDACTED> writes:
> However, since logger does not use the group_leader of the calling process
> to print log messages, those messages get sent directly to the `user`
> process which has no notion of whether a shell is actually running or not,
> so it cannot rewrite the output.

If I'm not mistaken, this is also the reason eunit tests do not capture
logger messages, making it hard to understand what was logged by a
specific failing test.

Is there something on the roadmap to try to address this issue ? It
affects both shell and eunit in non-trivial ways. The only workaround is
to ignore logger in applications and to write another log system which
uses the group leader, so it would make sense to fix logger.

--
Nicolas Martyanoff
http://snowsyn.net