delayed child restart with incremental back-off

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Mon May 3 15:52:49 CEST 2021

> This articles focuses on initialization, while I am talking about the
> entire lifetime of the process. A process crashing for any reason is
> currently immediately restarted, which in a lot of cases causes tight
> restart loops

If it is crashing immediately after restart then it sounds like initialization to me? And I don't think it is moot since it changes the concept of supervisors and where/how they are to be used, even if optional. Now that I think about it... gen_statem is usually where I implement this over and over these days, and it already has so many options :), maybe it could be made to more easily support the implementation of certain failures resulting in a state change with a backoff, or some such thing.

As for "infinite retry", I actually don't see the use of this when crashes propagate up to the program itself which is then restarted, which could be done an infinite number of times.