New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

empro2@REDACTED empro2@REDACTED
Wed Jan 20 01:50:00 CET 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:16:54 +0100
Raimo Niskanen <raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:

> In anger

Spending a lot of the day trying to clear up a horrible misunderstanding with Karl Velicka, and possibly others, I am even beginning to fear you might be one of those.

My message

    http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2021-January/100399.html

was intended for the list (mostly, oc). I tried (but failed) to make it a reply to

    http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2021-January/100371.html

because I felt the same and thought it a good place for some intermediate summary.

I left your address in, only because I suspected it help with the threading.

The personal appendix was meant to be a very late thank you for changing "can not" to "cannot". At the time, I decided against explicitly thanking you, because I was sure there were people not convinced and who might feel hurt by "my triumph". So I bet on you deducting my gladness and thankfulness from my preceding messages.

The way chosen was meant to express my appreciation by showing that I have not forgotten. I deleted a :-) because it looked too much like a correction, friendly but nevertheless .... I deleted a ;-) because it looked too ironic, might be perceived as sarcastic or .... I refrained from explaining in prose because it was already a long message and I did not want to make too heavy? serious? The grin was meant to be ... a little embarrassed, insecure ... At the time it appeared clear to me. After this day, I fear it might be perceived as not even ambiguous but unambigous -- in a way absolutely not intended.

This morning I briefly considered telling you, that there is no need to be angry, that people might be a bit tense due to surprise and the impression of the EEP being only short of the pull, merge, announce, release finish. Then I found the misunderstanding, then I tried to explain -- and understand. And now ...

Should I have contributed to your anger: please accept my sincere apology.

    ~Michael

--

What was said, is not what was spoken,
but what was understood; and none of these