New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

Fri Jan 15 16:35:57 CET 2021

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 04:22:55PM +0100, Nicolas Martyanoff wrote:
:

> I believe this discussion is moot. We can spend hours arguing about CS theory,
> but at the end of the day, the problem is about changing a fundamental aspect
> of a language. And clearly quite a lot of developers, me included, are worried
> about this kind of change.

And I want to get clarity about exactly why so many developers are worried
about this particular proposed change, and therefore try to look thoroughly
at the arguments.

It is as you say a fundamental detail in the language.

1) Would the language be a better language with a mandatory pinning operator?

2) If so is there a migration path worth the trouble?

So far I think the discussion has been centered around 2),
before talking about 1).