Erlang forums (was Re: PING TEST)

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Sat Dec 18 16:33:27 CET 2021

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 1:43 PM Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED> wrote:

> I did the setup of these forum tool many times and the discourse mail
> feature doesn’t work like a mailing list. It’s hard to re-create a thread
> for ex.
>
> Only partial features. answering to a topic etc may be configured but
>  this is not as natural as a mail. And not as granular. Also mails don’t
> come  the same way etc. So while archiving may work partially but mail is a
> second zone system.
>

> I still don’t see why we discard the mailing list at the moment.
>
> What I meant by this  is that  discourse mails features are not a
replacement for a mailing-list, it's something different with mailing-list
support / topics. Some topics may be excluded from the mails. There are
Pro/Cons for it as always :)

Just like Slack and IRC, maybe both can still co-exists for a while? A
similar example can be seen in the Python community where even if full
discourse [1] usage is wanted on the long term by some of its members , the
mailing-list [2] is still active. This doesn't solve the need of the OTP
team to delegate its maintenance though. But maybe this is workable?

[1] https://discuss.python.org
[2] https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/