locked up system using :ets.match_object
Sat Jan 18 09:15:29 CET 2020
But mnesia is implemented with ets tables so ets:info should work just fine
On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 8:01 AM Vans S <vans_163@REDACTED> wrote:
> The table is a mnesia table so ets:info/2 does not seem to work. I
> narrowed it down and it seemed to indeed be match_object just costing too
> much cpu time and perhaps locking the table. Ended up rewriting the table
> scanning algo (instead of match_object running around 100 * 2000 times,
> dump full table once and use Process dictionary to manipulate / filter /
> organize) and building a cache.
> The runtime seems stable, it would still be interesting to diagnose those
> locks does mnesia have something similar to ets:info/2 ?
> On Friday, January 17, 2020, 03:06:07 p.m. EST, Sverker Eriksson <
> sverker@REDACTED> wrote:
> Have you tried without read_concurrency?
> What does ets:info(T, stats) after running for a while?
> On fre, 2020-01-17 at 19:27 +0000, Vans S wrote:
> I really want to measure this so I can have some facts, IMO the
> performance is degrading way too much for such a small workload. The
> frequency is these 3000 processes do 1 write to the table every 15 minutes,
> so about 3.3 writes per second. (as the processes start at different
> times). The processes match_object on the table about 30000 times per
> second, but in bursts, so 10 operations can happen in a single function
> then it would back off for a few seconds or more.
> On Friday, January 17, 2020, 02:20:05 p.m. EST, Sverker Eriksson <
> sverker@REDACTED> wrote:
> On fre, 2020-01-17 at 20:09 +0200, Led wrote:
> I am having some performance trouble in a system that does a few queries
> on a small ets table of around 10,000 records.
> Basically with around 500 concurrent processes, everything is fine, 1500 I
> start to notice some small degradation, at around 3000 concurrent processes
> the schedulers grind to a halt, TOP system CPU usage is around 50%, but
> Erlang scheduler usage (scheduler:utilization) is 100% and capped out on
> all 40 threads.
> I am guessing the schedulers are all waiting on locks on the ets table. I
> thought match_object and ets was quite optimized these days, using R22, I
> am wondering if there is some synchronization/locking issues that could be
> addressed. Because I mean at 3000 processes maybe hitting that table 10
> times per second on average, does not seem like much. 30k match_objects per
> second, with ongoing inserts.
> Also would there be a way to debug/pinpoint this is the exact issue? I
> just did A/B testing where I turned off parts of the system, when I turned
> off the part that does the match_objects on the ETS table, the system ran
> fine and never deadlocked at 100% scheduler usage. Its also hard to
> profile, as the system is so locked up the profiler barely runs.
> For now it seems the solution is to rework the architecture and put a
> second cached view ETS table, so the match_objects can be replaced with key
> lookups. Which gets filled by a single process running that pulls via
> match_object from the main table and fills the cache.
> You didn't specify parameters of your table.
> And what's the frequency of those inserts that you mention.
> ets:match_object is a read-only operation and should only inflict lock
> contention with other write operations, such as ets:insert.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the erlang-questions