[erlang-questions] what is point of having a .erlang file?

Tue Jan 22 17:43:54 CET 2019

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 10:45 PM Sam Overdorf <soverdor@REDACTED> wrote:

>  I have customers and I want the same configuration for all of them so
> ".erlang" sounds like a good option for me.
>
> The problems is "erl" will run the ".erlang" file but "escript" does
> not run the ".erlang" file.
>
> I prefer to use "escript" because the consistent handling of arguments
> passed in.
>
> What is the solution?

Usually, Erlang systems are run as releases. They specify configuration in
a file, usually sys.config but that file can read further configuration
from another file, or you can override configuration on the command line.

However, I am curious about your process of running your software. Maybe,
if you explained it, we would be able to describe an alternative way of
handling the distribution and running of said software.