Obtain message content of Erlang messages in dtrace

Duncan Paul Attard duncan.attard.01@REDACTED
Mon Dec 16 13:02:35 CET 2019

Hi,

I was experimenting with Erlang and dtrace, and am interested to know whether the message content exchanged between two Erlang processes can be obtained. In particular, I am interested in the `message-send` and `message-receive` probes.

I looked at erlang_dtrace.d (https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/erts/emulator/beam/erlang_dtrace.d) as well as messages.d (https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/lib/runtime_tools/examples/messages.d) to see whether this is possible, but I was not able to make any progress.

Is there a way in which this can be achieved. And if not, are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Duncan