Dynamic Configuration Database in Erlang

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Wed Dec 4 16:45:33 CET 2019

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 15:10, zxq9 <zxq9@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 2019/12/04 22:03, Stefano Bertuola wrote:
> > I am looking for understanding how to implement a configuration database
> > in Erlang (which allows dynamic configuration).
> >
> > Does anyone have more details about this or any other implementation?
>
> Hi, Stefano.
>
> I make a configuration manager/DB in just about any program I write that
> needs configuration. Usually this takes the form of a single gen_server
> that is started first at the beginning of execution (you can have it
> start later, but usually your system configuration is pretty close to
> the very top of your supervision tree).

Counterpoint: if you're dealing with a larger, mixed, system that has
Erlang and non-Erlang components, you probably want to look at
external configuration databases, such as etcd or consul. They'll deal
with service discovery, health-checking, and all that other
complicated stuff.

Or you might want a mixture of the two approaches.