[erlang-questions] kerl usage (was Patch package OTP 21.1.1 released)

Fred Youhanaie fly@REDACTED
Sat Oct 13 12:24:46 CEST 2018

Hi Lloyd

I'm not aware of a tutorial, however, perhaps the following will help.

Using kerl is pretty straightforward. Most of the time I use the following sequence to get a new release on my laptop, using Linux+bash.

I am assuming that you have already downloaded kerl and it is in your shell path.

# kerl keeps a list of the available releases locally, but you need to keep it up to date
# this will also print the updated list of the available releases

kerl update releases

# pick a release from the list, e.g. 21.1 is the latest release as of today
# choose a name for the build, e.g. r21.1 is my own convention.
# The below command will download and build the 21.1 release.
# on my laptop it takes just over 30 minutes.

kerl build 21.1 r21.1

# decide on a fresh location for the install, e.g. /opt/erlang-21.1

kerl install r21.1 /opt/erlang-21.1

# once the installation has concluded, you'll see a message similar to the one below
# you can use the activate/deactivate commands to switch between versions at will

You can activate this installation running the following command:
. /opt/erlang-21.1/activate
Later on, you can leave the installation typing:
kerl_deactivate

I have some extra customizations for my needs, but the above should be sufficient to get you started.

HTH :-)

Cheers,
Fred