[erlang-questions] start_timer and timer fired lag

Mon Mar 26 17:35:47 CEST 2018

Pure guess: You are being CPU throttled in order to save power, or the
virtual machine is throttling you.

Enable the erlang system monitor and start looking for long schedules.
These are usually an indication that you are being throttled by something.
Either a bad NIF which isn't dirty-scheduling the right way, or by the
underlying system stalling you. Perhaps because your timer is on a separate
core and async-fires to another core. In general, timers can be stalled by
the system, so you have no guarantee that they will fire close after their
trigger point. But if you have timers which are periodically behind
schedule, I'd look into the virtual setup.

One simple test is to run outside virtualization to make sure it isn't
causing the problems. But I'd enable the system monitor anyway since it is
a good way to detect unruly underlying hardware/virtualization layers.