[erlang-questions] Deprecation warnings: OTP20 and OTP21 compatible code

Nathaniel Waisbrot nathaniel@REDACTED
Wed Jun 6 13:36:54 CEST 2018

> IIRC, Rebar doesn't include the option by default either. But people like to add that option as a way to rid themselves of warnings in their projects. Normally, this is a fine and sensible thing to do, but I'm currently a bit torn on its usefulness in libraries other people rely on, and I might want to recommend people not adding it to those.

If a project has tests (especially if they're run automatically on code changes), rebar3 can use profiles:

{profiles, [
            {test, [
                    {erl_opts, [warnings_as_errors]}
                   ]}
           ]}.

so that way your CI tests should fail and keep your project clean from errors. But at the same time it won't break as a dependency.