[erlang-questions] Deprecation warnings: OTP20 and OTP21 compatible code

Wed Jun 6 13:23:57 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 1:12 PM Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> It's worth noting that you did not have an issue with Cowboy, Ranch and
> friends. That's because the default policy in Erlang.mk is to NOT use
> warnings_as_errors for dependencies (and as a result this option is not
> included in the generated rebar.config).

IIRC, Rebar doesn't include the option by default either. But people like
to add that option as a way to rid themselves of warnings in their
projects. Normally, this is a fine and sensible thing to do, but I'm
currently a bit torn on its usefulness in libraries other people rely on,
and I might want to recommend people not adding it to those.

Generally I think we agree here.

Individual projects can override this setting when you assemble the
software on a grander scale and force warnings_as_errors. It is always
easier to add strictness at a higher level. But even then: if you don't
control all of the source code, you must be prepared for parts of it
lagging behind in warning count and/or quality.