[erlang-questions] 'cannot' /= 'can not'

Richard O'Keefe raoknz@REDACTED
Tue Jul 31 08:36:31 CEST 2018

One common source of confusion is phrasal verbs.
(I am quite upset that my now-legally-adult daughters
were never introduced to the term "phrasal verb" at
school; it's as if someone in the Ministry of Education
interpreted the title in an Orwellian way.)
"Look up the name in a table." (Verb and particle are two words.)
"Look the name up in a table." (Two words, same meaning.)
"Seek the name in a lookup table." (One word.)
"How many lookups did that need?" (One word.)
The rule is: verb => 2 words, noun or adjective => 1 word.

I've always wondered about the connection between English
phrasal verbs and German verbs with separable prefixes; so
many of the latter have English translations that are
phrasal verbs with the corresponding preposition as particle.