[erlang-questions] 'cannot' /= 'can not'

Edwin Fine emofine@REDACTED
Sun Aug 5 20:31:21 CEST 2018

As a native English speaker, “can” implies “able to”, and “cannot” implies “unable to”.

I *cannot* lift a 4000 lb car above my head using only my unaugmented body.

However, I *can* absolutely “apply the kernel-5.4.3.2 application independently of other applications on an arbitrary OTP 20 installation.” I just copy it into the right directory. It (presumably) simply will not work, or will break.

The underlying meaning of the warning appears to be “applying the kernel-5.4.3.2 application independently of other applications on an arbitrary OTP 20 installation results in a broken installation, so do not do this.”

How about rewording it in an unambiguous imperative active voice?

Note! Do *not* apply the kernel-5.4.3.2 application independently of other applications on an arbitrary OTP 20 installation. It will break the installation.

//EOF