[erlang-questions] Opentracing for Erlang Processes

Ricardo Oliveira picaoao@REDACTED
Fri Sep 29 14:35:57 CEST 2017

Hi Ferenc,

Thank you for your answer.

I don't believe this is really otter specific. The way I see it, otter is
just acting as trace emitter, following the opentracing standard. If we
would replace it by other lib, we would still have the same problem.
For example, I can have a task that in order to be completed needs to go
through multiple Erlang processes that do different things, like access a
db, interact with external api, etc.
Typically an application contains many tasks or flows, that can run
concurrently, and each task can also have many instantiations.
So when one of the processes involved in a task gets a message from another
process, how does that process knows to which specific task (context) will
it be realizing work for ? Why ? Because with that we could track the flow
of execution of a task between all the involved processes. So my question
is about how we can propagate this tracing context between processes?
Explicitly/forced in all the messages exchanged between the processes? Or
if there is another implicit way (like seq_trace does) of doing this ?

Thanks