[erlang-questions] setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Marco Molteni marco.molteni@REDACTED
Wed Mar 1 13:21:49 CET 2017

> On 1 Mar 2017, at 12:28, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

..

> But what I'd prefer to do is abstract away from the package manager and say
> Locally
>
>    $ remote_install <my VPS> erlang

..

You are entering the realm of what is called orchestration or configuration management.

I don't think there is a "simple script" do do what you want.

On the other hand, last-generation configuration management tools like SaltStack and Ansible allow to do exactly that, and way more. You could even take a additional step back and provision the VM with APIs like OpenStack, but probably it would be over engineering for your use case.

Since we are functional :-), an alternative approach (not exactly the same thing) is http://nixos.org/ and http://nixos.org/nix/, which should really excite any Erlanger :-)

marco