[erlang-questions] os:cmd hang on OTP 18

Dániel Szoboszlay dszoboszlay@REDACTED
Thu Jul 27 09:21:20 CEST 2017

Thanks Dmytro, this really helped a lot!

I think the commit you pointed to is not directly related: it only changes
Erlang code, and if the behaviour depends on whether you are using a
release/debug build, the root cause is most probably somewhere in the C
code of erts.

But the commit message talks about the emulator no longer using vfork, and
it was a good clue: disabling vfork on 18 prevents the problem. So this one
will finish:

ERL_NO_VFORK=true erl +A0 +S 1:1 -noinput -noshell -eval 'os:cmd("tar -C
/tmp/ -xf /tmp/tartest --use-compress-program=lbzip2"), init:stop().'

Thanks again for the clue, I will look into the difference between using
fork/vfork in OTP 18!

Daniel