[erlang-questions] Off-topic question about Universities

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Wed Jul 5 21:40:32 CEST 2017

Ask your students, faculty, administration, alumni, and community, Richard,  the first words and feelings that come to mind when you mention the name of your university.

That's your university's brand.

If those words and feelings are predominantly positive, e.g. motivate students to apply, alumni to donate, community to confer tax breaks, etc.,then how do you communicate those values quickly on a sign, letterhead, proposal, or tee-shirt?

 A logo has no intrinsic meaning beyond the associations people have when exposed to it. If I know nothing about your institution, a well-crafted logo may convey a sense of the values that the recruiters and fund-raisers in your institution would like me to associate with your institution  through typography, shape, and color alone.

But if I have experience with your institution, the logo will simply reinforce the positive or negative associations I have lurking in the back of my mind.

Over time and the cumulative interactions and experiences many people have with your institution, your logo takes on significantly weighted symbolic value. It becomes invaluable in and of itself. Harvard University aggressively enforces proprietary rights to it's logo.

Thus, think of your logo as the key to a cognitive/emotional value--- a short-hand designator or stand-in for your brand.

When you commission a graphic designer to create a logo, you're asking the designers to combine visual elements of type, shape, and color into a highly-compressed image that brings to mind the good feelings you'd like folks to have toward you institution. If the image projected by your newly-minted logo are truly congruent with your established brand, then it's successful.

If not, it will fail.

If you have a great university, but the wider community fails to understand how good you really are--- that is, student recruitment is not up to potential, fund-raising falls, short, good faculty candidates choose other schools, then your university has a marketing problem.

A logo alone will not solve your marketing problem.  But it can contribute toward the success of a well-conceived and executed marketing campaign.

The question is how much time and money should go into creating the logo vs. how much toward crafting and executing the larger campaign.

You might as your administrator just exactly what problem he's attempting to solve and what else he is doing to solve it?

All the best,

LRP