[erlang-questions] [ANN] Cowboy 2.0.0-pre.4

Ladislav Lenart lenartlad@REDACTED
Tue Jan 3 19:09:28 CET 2017

Hello.

Just my 2 cents after skimming through the new manual. But first a disclaimer:

I do not program in Erlang (anymore). I just keep an eye on various projects
created using it and love to read the mailing list. I have never used the cowboy
web server...

With that in mind, the manual is simply excellent! Great work!

What I like:
+ It seems (though I have not verify it) that it is just a static HTML.
+ The version number is part of the URL. Awesome! I do not dare to count the
number of times when I got lost in the Apple documentation or when I have found
a link which no longer works.
+ Detailed explanation of arguments with simple examples.
+ Oh, the usage examples!

What I have not found (though I have not red the entire manual):
- A top-level overview where the concepts such as protocols, handlers, behaviors
and middlewares are explained (i.e. what is it, when to use it and why and its
relations to others).

Out of curiosity, why (in cowboy:start_clear) is TransportOpts a list of pairs
while ProtocolOpts is a map? Is this to ensure that the user does not swap them
unwittingly?

Happy New Year and keep up the great work,

Ladislav Lenart