[erlang-questions] Erlang as a tool for human communication -- was GUI development

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Thu Dec 28 20:03:19 CET 2017

Hi Joe,

I think I have the layout issue worked out. Need to clean up code before I can share, but will do.

I'll send you my PDF think-piece off list. And, if you wish, code as it develops. Love to get your critique and advice.

In general, I'm thinking of the problem from the point of view of the content creator and graphic designer. And I fully support your goal of one creator entering content one time for dissemination across multiple media in multiple formats.

With regard to layout, I'm experimenting with data structures for optimal accessibility and performance, but the idea is:

project    -> meta data, [documents]
document  -> meta data, [pages]
page      -> documentID, page number, page grid
page-grid -> ID, name, [panels]
panel     -> page number, name, [boxes] ;
box       -> map of placement, size, border, background color, etc.

layout    -> [panels]

Four data structures get passed into a paste-up component which generates final output:

Copy
Styling
Format
Layout

I'm thinking separate tools for managing copy, styling, layout, and paste-up so that each can be optimize without disrupting the rest of the system and re-purposed for other media.

For now I'm experimenting with embedded functions for input. But browser-based WYSIWYG tools would be nice. Erlang Nitrogen suggests a way to keep browser-based tools in the Erlang domain.

Copy could be MarkDown (looks fine for my uses) or XML
   Patrice Bruno has suggested cmark, an open source MarkDown interpreter for
   conversion of MarkDown to XML

Styling deals with font specifications, CSS, or some such. Patrice Bruno has also been working on extending fonts to OTF and TTF; has a prototype solution.

Format deals with the conventional options for content composition, e.g. letter, report, book, etc. We could learn from LaTex here.

Layout involves placing copy on pages in panels. Think articles in a magazine or chapters in a book.

I have a crude set of rules for dealing with column/page jumps. These would be executed in the paste-up phase. This required factoring your copyfitting routines.

My personal interest is in production of books, ebooks, and marketing collateral But I do think that this project could be a way forward toward improved Erlang documentation and tutorials.

At a more visionary level, I'm imagining a suite of well-crafted libraries and applications that are complementary to OTP. We might call them Erlang OMP for Open Media Platform.

Joe, thanks again for the hard work you've done in implementing the font handling and copy fitting functions in erlguten. They make everything else possible.

All the best,

Lloyd