[erlang-questions] On OTP rand module difference between OTP 19 and OTP 20

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 17:27:02 CEST 2017

On 08/31/2017 05:13 PM, Attila Rajmund Nohl wrote:

>>> Wow.
>>

>> I certainly hope this is not the general policy for OTP. We program against
>> the documentation. The documentation *is* our reality.
>
> I disagree. Take this example:
> https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/732420/9b9f8f2825f1877f/ The printk()
> function in the Linux kernel was documented to print new logs to new
> lines unless the KERN_CONT option was passed. In reality it didn't
> always started new lines and people expected (maybe even relied on)
> this - and when the code was updated to match the documentation, they
> were genuinely surprised when their code was broken.

This story is not about people following the documentation and then have
the documentation be "fixed" under their feet without them noticing, it
is in fact the complete opposite.

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu