[erlang-questions] On OTP rand module difference between OTP 19 and OTP 20

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 17:13:34 CEST 2017

> On 08/30/2017 12:33 PM, zxq9 wrote:
>>
>> On 2017年08月30日 水曜日 10:29:12 Raimo Niskanen wrote:
>>
>>> It is in general safer to change the documentation to match the reality.
>>

>> Wow.
>

> I certainly hope this is not the general policy for OTP. We program against
> the documentation. The documentation *is* our reality.

I disagree. Take this example:
https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/732420/9b9f8f2825f1877f/ The printk()
function in the Linux kernel was documented to print new logs to new
lines unless the KERN_CONT option was passed. In reality it didn't
always started new lines and people expected (maybe even relied on)
this - and when the code was updated to match the documentation, they
were genuinely surprised when their code was broken.