[erlang-questions] Erlang HTTP client libraries- pros/cons

Paul Oliver puzza007@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 08:04:11 CEST 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 5:01 PM Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:

> I've looked into your katipo and I do not understand what for is it.

It's a way to use libcurl from Erlang. You can find more information about
libcurl here https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/.

> You launch curl as a separate program and communicate with it from erlang.
> What for?

HTTP compatibility (curl) and safety (port program).

> Erlang has excellent network communication system and you have selected
> most inefficient way to fetch http.

As mentioned in my earlier email, the httpc_benchmark ranks katipo fairly
well so any inefficiency of using an external port doesn't seem to be
taking too much of a toll. I've considered using some sort of NIF but
haven't found the need. Pull requests welcome though.