[erlang-questions] Erlang HTTP client libraries- pros/cons

Taras Halturin halturin@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 08:20:10 CEST 2017

I think, Max means that you choose most expensive way to deal with it and
it's not about efficiency of http handling but about efficiency of aim
achieving :)

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Paul Oliver <puzza007@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 5:01 PM Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> I've looked into your katipo and I do not understand what for is it.
>>

> It's a way to use libcurl from Erlang. You can find more information about
> libcurl here https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/.
>

>> You launch curl as a separate program and communicate with it from
>> erlang. What for?
>>

> HTTP compatibility (curl) and safety (port program).
>

>> Erlang has excellent network communication system and you have selected
>> most inefficient way to fetch http.
>>

> As mentioned in my earlier email, the httpc_benchmark ranks katipo fairly
> well so any inefficiency of using an external port doesn't seem to be
> taking too much of a toll. I've considered using some sort of NIF but
> haven't found the need. Pull requests welcome though.
>

>> We in Flussonic use lhttpc and it works for us.  Some fixes like adding
>> timing and internal protocol support and it works for us.

Best Regards.
Taras Halturin