[erlang-questions] Deprecation and removal of the non-smp emulator

Johannes Weißl jargon@REDACTED
Thu Apr 20 20:17:35 CEST 2017

Hello Lukas,

> If you have a very good reason for wanting to use the non-smp
> emulator, please do let us know as soon as possible so that we can
> consider whether we want to keep the non-smp version anyway.

We use the non-smp emulator on small ARM Linux boxes (single CPU).
I have tested the smp emulator over the last two weeks, here are my
observations:

- smp version increases VmSize by 10-35 MB, but VmRSS by only about 1 MB
- smp version is slower, but not critically (can still run our software)
- qemu-arm-static 2.8 has problems running the smp version

So we will stick to the non-smp version until OTP-21, especially because
of the broken qemu (used for test suite).

Johannes