[erlang-questions] Is it a compiler bug?

Thu Apr 13 16:14:47 CEST 2017

No, it is not stupidity in any way.

People hit this now and again. It makes sense to solve the problem this
way. I remember we considered the alternative, which is to reject the
notion, but this requires some special-handling in the compiler and isn't
clear-cut either.

In short, regarding this as an invalid expression is to a certain extent
possible, and certainly desirable. But we run into subtle problems when we
want to reject it too, which is what complicates matters.

I think it is healthy to challenge certain design decisions in Erlang,
especially because dynamically typed languages tend to have corner cases in
their semantics which are hard to handle in general.