[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Mark Bucciarelli mkbucc@REDACTED
Fri Sep 30 04:03:31 CEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 2:07 AM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> - change the ordering (it's alphabetic) - I'd like a 'best of' (or
> essential functions first) - the minimal set you should know about

I was thinking about this today.

Would it be useful to download Erlang projects from github
and compute frequency of use of each Erlang function across
all downloaded projects?

That would be one way to make a first pass of all modules ...

The UI could perhaps make two buckets per module: "frequently
used" and "other", and collapse the latter set to minimize the
visual space used.

It would take a while ...

$ curl -s https://api.github.com/search/repositories?q=language:erlang \

> | grep total_count

  "total_count": 17538,

... maybe take a random sample or filter out dormant and really big
projects.

Mark

Blogging at markbucciarelli.com
Tweeting @mbucc