[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Kenneth Lundin kenneth@REDACTED
Tue Sep 27 13:57:03 CEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Martin Karlsson <
martin@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> > Interesting would be to know how many % of the users that actually are
> using the man and pdf pages.
> The man pages is the erlang documentation I use the most. In fact I Iike
> them so much I had to reply to this thread to reduce the risk of them going
> away :). They are much quicker than anything if you have a console based
> work-flow. I even miss the man pages for all external libraries. I would
> love if there was a common erlang documentation system making it easy for
> external libraries to produce the same style and type of documentation as
> the official documentation.

erl_docgen included in OTP is such a toll with which you can build
documentation in the same style as the official one. Of course the
documentation for erl_docgen itself could be improved as well:) But we are
using it for the
OTP documentation and the intention has always been that it can be used for
the users applications as well.