[erlang-questions] Error: Node is not running

Grzegorz Junka list1@REDACTED
Sun Sep 25 11:06:49 CEST 2016

On 24/09/2016 17:43, Nikolay Bildeyko wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have a problem with attachment to my running application. On my
> Amazon server (Amazon Linux) it works great, but on my local machine
> (Linux Mint 17.3) I have next problem:
> I start application with name ServerDev@REDACTED:
>     bin/server start
> when I want to attach I have an error:
>     bin/server attach
>     Node is not running!
>
> Although epmd say me that app is running and I can get data from app
> by curl:
>     epmd -names
>     epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
>     name ServerDev at port 47963
>
> Log files are empty.
> Also I can't stop the app. stop command does nothing. install command
> also doesn't work.
>
> About versions:
>     rebar 3.2.0 and Erlang/OTP 19 Erts 8.0
>
> Cheers,
> Nikolay Bildeyko

That usually happens when you start the node with -name (indicating a
long name) where the name isn't a valid FQDN (isn't properly resolved by
DNS). How do you supply the name of the node, with -name or -sname? If
the former, can you resolve that name to IP with dig or drill?

Grzegorz