[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Sat Sep 24 19:50:12 CEST 2016

On 23 September 2016 at 11:17, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 09/23/2016 10:36 AM, Lutz Behnke wrote:
>
>> I would propose a position specific to the reference documentation:
>>
>> 8) Put the documentation in the source code. Use edoc (or similar new
>> tool).
>>

> And I would strongly advise against that.

I definitely agree with Loïc here but from the programmers viewpoint. When
working with the code I need (good) documentation which describes what the
code is doing from the internal POV. I definitely DON'T need documentation
for the user on how to use and what it means and examples and ... . That
just clutters up the page for me writing/maintaining the code.

Note that I am NOT saying the user doesn't need all that, the user
definitely does need/require all that, but it should be somewhere else not
mixed in with the code.

Robert