[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Kenneth Lakin kennethlakin@REDACTED
Fri Sep 23 01:33:48 CEST 2016

On 09/22/2016 02:56 PM, Lloyd R. Prentice wrote:
> Fewer than half of the functions in the lists library,
> for instance, have code examples. Suppose over the span
> of one week we were collectively focus on generating at
> least two code examples for each function in one library.

Many of the functions in many of the libs are already sufficiently
documented. Ferinstance, once one has read the explanatory prose for the
relevant function, does one need code examples for lists:reverse/1 ?
lists:sort/1 ? erlang:is_[binary|list|...]/1 ?

I recognize the core reason for your challenge, but I'll take this time
to point out that https://github.com/erlang/otp/pulls exists and -AFAIK-
accepts documentation updates.

Initially it can be a little confusing to figure out where the various
documentation files live. Remember that the .html files in the online
documentation are created from .xml files with the same name (but not in
the same location) in the Erlang repo. (For example:
doc/man/erl_driver.html is created from
$ERL_TOP/erts/doc/src/erl_driver.xml .)