[erlang-questions] game engines?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Tue Sep 20 17:51:37 CEST 2016

On 9/20/16 10:42 AM, Daniel Goertzen wrote:

> Erlang processes shine when they can run asynchronously and in a
> loosely coupled manner, so I am skeptical that a process-per-entity
> would work well where the entities need to run synchronously (20
> times/sec) and interact heavily.  For synchronous, interactive
> behavior I suspect the solution you currently have (thread iterating
> through objects) is simplest.

I'm not actually sure that you'd need to run items synchronously in an
actor based design.

1.  Anything that's not doing anything can simply suspend itself until
an incoming message triggers a state change.  That saves a LOT of cycles
right there.

2. For things that are moving, I'm not sure how distributing time ticks
to x000 processes, and then letting them do their thing, is any
different than iterating through the same x000 processes.

What gets tricky, in any case, is line-of-sight calculations, and
behaviors that are based on what each object sees.  That requires some
form of global state, and operations on global state.  But that's a
separate issue, and one that one also has when threading a chain of
control through a bunch of objects - either way, one either has to do a
global calculation, or each entity has to take a look around itself.

> I remember a discussion years ago about a simulation consisting of
> ants randomly moving from square to square on a chess board where only
> 1 ant is permitted on a square.  The discussion revolved around
> process-per-ant and all the synchronization issues that it entailed.
> It turned out that flipping things inside out and using a
> process-per-*square* and representing the ants as messages passed
> between them worked out much better. There are many ways to use
> processes, and mapping them to your simulation's actors is not always
> best.  Is there another way to apply many processes to a military sim?

Now isn't that an interesting thought!

Miles