[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP libraries/modules replaced by third party projects

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Mon Sep 12 11:28:30 CEST 2016

Hi!

> On 2016-09-07 08:57 -0700, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> > Please comment on this gist or reply to this email:
> > https://gist.github.com/tsloughter/4d18c474f009dd3a3eeb094f8933e90b
>
> I find this interesting and informative however it is hard to assess
> some of the information provided.
>
> For example,
>
>    "eldap support is poor, the app isn't even proper OTP"
>
> I wonder if this is a deliberate decision to go this way. Any ideas?

This is a symptom of that  the OTP team have not had a good enough process
for including contributions. I think it is just lately that PR-process has
started to work good enough.
In the  past it was quite common that prototypes that work well for some
use case where included without proper tests, documentation or code
reviews. We do have it in our backlog to
make eldap into a proper OTP application, it just has not been prioritized
high  enough yet. PR are  welcome.

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP Team - Ericsson AB