[erlang-questions] [ANN] Positive version 13.3.7

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Fri Mar 25 20:10:18 CET 2016

There is no such thing as the right tool for the job.

There's the tools that work *for you*, and those that don't.

JS is working for a lot of people. Erlang for a lot less.

In the real world, all that matters is that the tool is *good enough*
and that you are *familiar* with it.

Any combination where one of these is false leads to disaster. People
who never used Erlang before will not magically come up with a good
implementation (they can, but it takes a lot more time). Similarly,
people who are trying to use Erlang for what it's not good at will also
fail, or struggle to make it work.

When choosing a tool for a project, the question should really be "Which
tool do I know or can quickly get comfortable with, and can help me
produce a working solution?"

The answer to that question is different for everyone.

On 03/25/2016 07:47 PM, Lee Sylvester wrote:
> JS is a major player due to laziness.  I'm sorry, but a JS runtime on
> the server is never a good idea.  I don't use Elixir / Erlang for every
> project, I use the right tool for the job, whether I've used it before
> or not.  It just so happens that Elixir / Erlang is often the right tool.
>
> I'm sure it's the same for you guys?  The fact that Erlangs language is
> poetry and Elixir's eco-system is bliss means nothing :-P
>
> On Mar 26, 2016 7:21 AM, "Michael Truog" <mjtruog@REDACTED
> <mailto:mjtruog@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/25/2016 10:55 AM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
>
>         On 03/25/2016 02:20 AM, zxq9 wrote:
>
>             EVERYONE! STOP EVERYTHING! SATIRE IS NOW "TOXIC"!
>

>         Shame is temporary. A good story is for life.
>
>         What happened is a story for the ages. And a pretty good one.
>

>     I agree.  This is a positive contribution and no one can deny that.

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu
Author of The Erlanger Playbook,
A book about software development using Erlang