[erlang-questions] Problems stop/attach a release

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Mar 21 14:42:51 CET 2016

On 03/21, Khitai Pang wrote:
>No, I have no erlang:set_cookie/2 in my code.  Now the app gets cookie
>from vm.args (-setcookie).
>
>I do have another problem though, if I remove -setcookie from the
>vm.args and rebuild the release, the built release can't start.  I
>don't understand why.

Relx uses nodetools, and nodetools seems to want a cookie real bad to
avoid different apps communicating each other accidentally.

If the issue isn't related to cookies, it may be due to the app
hierarchy itself.

In some cases, applications do not get proper dependency lists (which
app depends on which apps), or omit to include apps like 'stdlib' and
'kernel'.

In such cases, what may happen is that when shutting down, the Erlang
node tears down 'kernel' or 'stdlib' before some other running
application. Then the node is stuck in that mode where it is technically
still running, but no functions may be called and it just doesn't ever
shut down. When you get to that point, forcefully killing the node is
the only thing I know how to make work.

The sad part is that any single dependency you include in your release
may be to blame for this.

No idea if this is specifically your problem, but it's one I've seen
before.