[erlang-questions] Sending fun/1 over the network and apply/2 failure

Sid Muller <>
Mon Jul 25 15:20:06 CEST 2016

> Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 at 8:14 AM
> From: "Joe Armstrong" <>
> To: "Sid Muller" <>
> Cc: "Mikael Pettersson" <>, Erlang <>
> Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Sending fun/1 over the network and apply/2 failure

[SNIP]
> If you want to make this work you just have to make sure that all
> nodes have the same
> version of the module(s) concerned. I guess just should be in quotes
> (ie "just") since
> this is very difficult (having 2 different versions of code on one
> node is just about
> understandable) but doing this over multiple nodes is far more difficult.
>
> The "send the same code to all machines - then restart" strategy is
> just about the
> easiest way to make this work.

Hi, Joe-

yes that's what I ended up doing. I put the code into the module, send it over, upgrade, and then run the fun....

And it works, I was assuming previously that since I was sending an anon function it would work but I guess due to reasons pointed out by Mikael this didn't work...