[erlang-questions] dirty nifs ETA?

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Mon Jul 18 16:47:56 CEST 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED> wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is any ETA for having the dirty nifs considered as
> stable and compiled by default with an Erlang release. What's still on the
> TODO?
>

> Having them as stable would help to ship a release with them.
>

> - benoît

The plan is currently OTP 20.

Cut from <http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl_nif.html#dirty_nifs>:

"Currently known issues that are planned to be fixed:

* Since purging of a module currently might need to garbage collect a
process in order to determine if it has references to the module, a
process executing a dirty NIF might delay purging for a very long
time. Delaying a purge operation implies delaying all code loading
operations which might cause severe problems for the system as a
whole."

Besides the above, writing more test-cases and test the implementation
more extensively is also on the todo-list.

Regards,
Rickard
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB