[erlang-questions] maps or records?

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Feb 26 17:56:21 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM Benoit Chesneau

> So would you se a maps instead of a record when you need to share the
> returned result with apps that depends on your library? Instead of making
> that result opaque and provide functions to access it? Which sound
> ridiculous sometimes, since at the end what you do is a get on a record key
> ... Curious what others do in that case?

What's the nature of the data? If it's a map of keys to values, I think map
is a good data type. E.g. I think a database row is well represented as a
map, as columns/fields tend to differ based on what you're retrieving.

Maybe a good test is the one you mentioned - if you're module is simply
providing a bunch of pass-throughs to peel off record fields, it wants to
be a map.