[erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Feb 19 21:52:50 CET 2016

While on the subject of modules ...

I think there should be 'anonymous modules' and registered modules
(just like processes):

For processes:

    Pid = spawn(fun() -> ... end)

Creates a process, but only the process which created the process can say

    Pid ! Message

Other process do not know the value of Pid so they can't send any
messages to Pid.

This is inconvenient so we can say register(foo, Pid) and thereafter *any*
process can say `foo ! Message`

I would like to see:

    Mod = load_code(Bin)

after which the parent can say Mod:func(....) and register(Name, Mod)
and then *any* process can call foo (just like registered processes)

With such a mechanism we could declare and use private modules which are not
globally visible.

(The same should be true for ets tables and ports) - also Modules
should be linkable
and sent exit signals to their link set when deleted.

Just make everything behave like processes.

Cheers

/Joe