[erlang-questions] live audio output from erlang on mac

Stefan Hellkvist hellkvist@REDACTED
Thu Feb 18 15:17:46 CET 2016

> On 18 Feb 2016, at 13:49, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> 5) I think I could send RTP packets to VLC and configure VLC to play
> the samples,
>   but haven't tried this.

An option similar to the VLC option (but more command line oriented perhaps) would be to use ffmpeg (with its player ffplay). Ffmpeg can receive for instance rtp (and also raw udp) over the network (example to listen for udp on specific port: "ffplay udp://localhost:4242?listen <udp://localhost:4242?listen>" - see https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide>) and it is flexible when it comes to formats such as raw PCM samples of various sample bit size (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/audio%20types <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/audio%20types>) with possibility to control buffer size to minimise latency. You can install it on the mac with “brew install ffmpeg” if you use brew.

/Stefan