[erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?

derek denc716@REDACTED
Wed Feb 17 18:38:35 CET 2016

that -module(). line sound like redundant, if it can be mismatched,
why can't it be omitted?
compiler can derive the module name from the filename anyway; Java
also made that filename has to match class name, that is a design
mistake and unnecessary requirement, to my opinion;

or on the other hand, if -module() is proved to be useful, why not
just ignore the filename, and always use what's defined in -module()?
in many modern language design like Go and Elixir, it's allowed to
define multiple Class/Module in one file, this will be really
flexible:

%% file1.erl
-module(module1).

%% [content of module1]