[erlang-questions] logical_processors_available unknown on mac

Alin Popa alin.popa@REDACTED
Wed Feb 17 13:25:19 CET 2016

 Hi,

I was recently trying to use
`erlang:system_info(logical_processors_available).` on my mac, and getting
`unknown` atom back; anyone has any idea if this is really by design?
I've read the official documentation on this:
```
logical_processors_available

Returns the detected number of logical processors available to the Erlang
runtime system. The return value is either an integer, or the atom unknown
if the emulator cannot detect the available logical processors.
```
Thing is I find hard to believe that the emulator cannon detect the
available logical processors, especially when this
`erlang:system_info(logical_processors).` returns 8 (having 4 hyperthreaded
cores).
I've tried to understand the reasoning behind that by looking at the source
code (`erts/lib_src/common/erl_misc_utils.c`), but due to my lack of C
knowledge, I wasn't able to get very far.

Thanks,
Alin