[erlang-questions] Amazon AWS benchmarking of erlang-diameter not upto the mark

Arshad Ansari arshadansari27@REDACTED
Mon Aug 29 21:49:50 CEST 2016

Hello Dmitry,

On my localbox I had a simple lan configuration with a single
gateway/switch to internet, so I'm not sure what else there is to mention
about the lan config. However; the machine configurations are as below:
1. Server-1 [4 core 4 GB]
2. Server-2 [4 core 4 GB]
3. Relay [Works as a load Balancer] [4 core 4 GB]
4. Client 1 [4 core 4 GB]
5. Client 2 [4 core 4 GB]

Each machine runs a single node as mentioned. There is a single tcp socket
connection between peers where alll Clients connect to Relay and Relay in
turn connects with the 2 servers and acts a proxy while also balancing the
request between the two servers using round robin algorithm. This
connection is used to send all the request using the gen_server:call
(blocking) method. Following is the erl vm params I'm using for all of the
nodes:

erl +A 1024 +P 134217727 +Q 134217727 -env ERL_MAX_PORTS 134217727 +K true

I'm able to get around 26K req/sec on relay which divides the requests
between two servers around 13K req/sec. Each and every node was utilizing
near about *99%* of all the cores available on the system. This I was able
to get on my local network.

As for AWS, I had the following setup:

1. Server - 1 [4 core 16GB]
2. Server - 2 [4 core 16GB]
3. Relay [16 core 30GB]
4. Client [16 core 30GB]

I had launched four of them as part of single placement group to remove
bandwidth restriction. When I did run the nodes, the processors were *not*
being utilized more than *60% *and yet the relay was getting around 12K
req/sec which it was dividing between servers with each one getting around
6K req/sec. Erlang VM args were the same as mentioned above. I was using
internal private IPs on AWS to connect the peers with one another to avoid
bandwidth limitation that comes with public IP usage. Each of the aws
instance has EBS volume attached to it. The only disk access I'm doing is
to write log at the per second rate, besides accessing the ETS table for
getting counter instances from each instance.

I hope I've covered all there is to the configurations and also that I was
clear enough.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Arshad