[erlang-questions] Any Erlang Devs Contemplating Elixir?

Kenneth Lakin kennethlakin@REDACTED
Sat Apr 23 01:04:01 CEST 2016

On 04/22/2016 03:56 PM, Andrew Berman wrote:
> In Elixir when I do URI.parse(""),
> I get no error and everything returned is nil.  Why?  It's clearly not a
> valid URI...

I don't agree. As I mentioned in my mail, it looks like the URL parser
of both Python and Elixir are kinda using RFC 1808's rules for URL
validity. My interpretation of section 2.2 indicates that the empty
string is a valid relative URL. (A URL can be a relativeURL, which can
be a rel_path, which -I think- can be zero characters.)

Moreover, if Elixir is doing it wrong, then so is Python. Note that both
URL parsers in question are in the standard libraries of their
respective languages.