[erlang-questions] Dialyzer and List Type

Stavros Aronis aronisstav@REDACTED
Tue Apr 19 10:03:46 CEST 2016

Hi!

The most general type that foo can have is [number()] -> [number()]. The
spec restricts both number() instances to just integer(). Then, since bar's
only argument is given as is to foo, it should also be [integer()].

If you specify bar's argument as atom() then there is no way to make a
successful call to foo and Dialyzer complains. If however bar's argument is
a list of atoms, then there is a way, though a bit trivial, for a call to
succeed: an empty list is both a valid list of atoms and a valid list of
integers.

Dialyzer can see this, and does not complain. Perhaps a patch is needed,
for a warning of type "only the empty list satisfies the given spec"...

Cheers,

Stavros